Friday, November 7, 2008

Pleasure and Pain

The older I get, the more aware I become that life brings with it a balance of joys and sorrows, pleasure and pain. With anxiety comes hope—so grows our faith. And every time I discover an answer, I also discover another question. But of one thing I am certain: Whatever happens, God is still in control and He will see us through! I base that statement on both the promises of the Bible and my own personal experience.

Paul wrote 2 Corinthians as a defense of his ministry and apostleship. Even after coming to Christ, his was not an easy life. He explained to the Corinthian believers:
We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9 NIV)

Do you catch the drama and trauma Paul is describing here? He was under stress and pressure – so much so that the New Living Translation says, “We were crushed and completely overwhelmed, and we thought we would never live through it.” (2 Corinthians 1:8b NLT)

Have you gone through hard times? Then I suggest you read Paul’s description of his perils in 2 Corinthians 11:23-30. He was shipwrecked, beaten and jailed (among other things) for his faith in Christ. While your suffering may be very real, reading about Paul’s problems can help put your pain in perspective.

You can make it through difficult experiences the same way Paul did. He trusted in God’s faithful provision to be in control and see him through:

(God) Who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us. . .. (2 Corinthians 2:10 NKJV)

Do you notice how Paul covers all the bases here, past present and future? God always has been, is, and always will be in control. He will see you through.

It is hard to imagine, but six years ago this month, my Dad went to be with the Lord. Back then, while waiting near my Dad’s bedside we heard the joyful sounds of children just outside his window. You see, the nursing home was located right next to a day care center. Just a few feet away from where my dad was struggling to take his final breaths, children were blissfully playing.

Dad was about to leave behind his worn out 86-year-old body and enter into the joys of eternal life. Several times he said, “I’m crossing over. It’s my time and I’m ready to go.”

And several times I asked, “Dad, are you in pain?”

“Not at all,” he replied. I think the anticipation of heaven’s pleasure was greater than the
pain of death.

It reminded me that life is full of both pleasure and pain. And we can’t truly appreciate one without the other. It’s kind of like our experience of leaving behind yesterday and welcoming today. Whatever it holds, God is in control and He will see us through!

No comments: