Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why Tradition is a Slippery Slope

I am basically a traditionalist. I love history and antiques. But these things must be kept in perspective or they can easily become shrines to what used to be. Nostalgia always clouds opportunities in the present with the foggy memories of prior success. To worship at the shrine of the past is to plant the seeds of tomorrow's harvest in the dry, sterile soil of yesterday's dust. Those seeds might survive as relics in a museum, but in that environment, they will never produce life.

"The greatest opposition to what God is doing today comes from those who were on the cutting edge of what God was doing yesterday."--R.T. Kendall

2 comments:

Jana Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jana Kathleen said...

You're the best Dad in the whole world and I love you and am proud of you! :) Thanks for showing me to not cling to tradition as meaning, but to cling to Christ to define my future. Love you!